Turmeric Powder (Curcuma longa)
$6.33 – $17.27
Only during the last two decades has research caught up with ancient knowledge to affirm its use as a treatment for digestive and liver problems and for relieving inflammatory conditions.
Botanical and Common Names
- Family Zingiberaceae
- Curcuma longa syn. C. domestica (Turmeric, Haldi [Hindi], Jiang Huang [Chinese])
- Curcuma zedoaria (Zedoary)
- Curcuma amada (Mango-Ginger)
- Curcuma xanthorrhizia (Curcuma, Japanese Turmeric, Tewon Lawa, Temu Lawak)
Turmeric is an aromatic perennial, reaching about three feet in height. It produces long tapering leaves and white or pale yellow flowers that grow in spikes. Turmeric is likely indigenous to India where it is still cultivated as well as in other tropical regions of Southeast Asia. Zedoary is found in India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, China, and Madagascar, the Moluccas, the Philippines, and New Guinea. Curcuma is indigenous to the forests of Indonesia and the Malaysian peninsula. It is cultivated mainly on Java, in Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines and harvested in the second year of growth.
Better known as a food spice and colouring agent, turmeric has also long been used as a medicine. Only during the last two decades has research caught up with ancient knowledge to affirm its use as a treatment for digestive and liver problems and for relieving inflammatory conditions.
As its name suggests, mango-ginger rhizomes have the scent similar to that of mangoes. It is used as a food, medicine, and in perfumery, as are all the other relatives of the plant.
- eases stomach pain
- stimulates bile excretion
- volatile oil
- starch (30-40%)
- Turmeric should not be used if there is a bile duct obstruction.
- It should not be used during pregnancy.
- It should not be used by those with gallbladder disease as it will increase the flow of bile, creating a possible flare-up.
- It should not be used by those on blood-thinning medications.
|Type & Size||
Tumeric ground 1 lb, Tumeric ground organic 1 lb, Tumeric ground organic 4 oz, Turmeric ground 4 oz